What is Olapex?
Olaplex is a bond builder that works deep within the hair shaft to rebuild broken bonds within your hair strands. Olaplex penetrates into the hair shaft and seeks out broken disulfide bonds when applied. Olaplex can be used as a standalone treatment or as an additive to hair color and hair lighteners which helps to prevent damage from occurring during processing.
How Does It Work?
Olaplex works best as a three step system (Olaplex No.1, No.2 and No.3) which consists of two in-salon steps, and one at-home step. Olaplex No.1 can be used in hair lighteners, hair color or mixed with water as a standalone treatment. Olaplex No.2 and No.3 are standalone treatments.
Olaplex No.1 should always be followed by Olaplex No.2. Olaplex No.3 isn’t required, but it is highly recommended.
Olaplex Treatment Steps
The Olaplex Process: In-salon Steps
- Olaplex No.1 is applied to the hair and rinsed out.
- Olaplex No.2 is applied, distributed and left on for a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Olaplex No.2 helps continue the process of bond rebuilding by strengthening the hair while adding shine and reinforcing the hair shaft. Olaplex No.2 is then rinsed out.
The Final Step: Olaplex at Home
Olaplex No. 3 is the last step in the sequence, which is a take-home product. Olaplex No.3 allows the process to extend at home and protect the hair from ongoing damage. It is applied to wet, unwashed hair and left on for 5-10 minutes before it can be rinsed out.
What is Olaplex No.3 and Do I Need It?
Yes you do! In my opinion, everyone can benefit from Olapex No.3. As a take-home product it adds convenience to your hair care routine, it eliminates the need to visit the salon weekly for an Olaplex treatment.
It is recommended that you use Olaplex once a week in order to prolong the building of bonds which will result in stronger, healthier hair. Olaplex No.3 has the same key ingredients found in the in-salon treatment and will continue to rebuild bonds within your hair after your hair service, as well as protect your hair from chemical, mechanical and thermal damage that can take place at home.
In order to ensure maximum results from Olaplex its important to use it once a week after you’ve had any in-salon hair service completed.
Common Sources of Hair Damage
- Wearing your hair up
- Flat ironing
How do I Use Olaplex?
Olaplex No.3 should be applied to towel-dried hair. It is important to comb Olaplex through the hair for even distribution, reaching all damaged areas. After applying Olaplex, it must be left on the hair for a minimum of ten minutes. Wonderful results have been seen if left on even longer!
It is important to note that Olaplex is not a deep conditioning treatment and is therefore applied differently. Read the instructions on the back of your product carefully before using Olaplex at home. Unlike a deep conditioning treatment, Olapex continues to work after the recommended ten minute minimum. When you’re ready to rinse, be sure to rinse Olaplex No.3 really well from the hair, following with your normal shampoo and conditioner.
The best times for an at-home Olaplex treatment are:
- Nighttime Application After a shower, wet your hair thoroughly. Towel dry the hair and then apply Olaplex, evenly distributing it throughout. Wrap your hair in a shower cap and head to bed. Let the treatment work overnight while you sleep. When you wake up, rinse, shampoo, condition and style like you’d normally do.
- Daytime Application Wet the hair thoroughly, towel dry and then apply Olaplex, evenly distributing it throughout. Put your hair in a loose braid and continue with your day. At the end of the day Olaplex can be rinsed out in the shower, followed by your normal shampoo and conditioning routine.
How Do I Know If I Need Olaplex?
Everyone can benefit from Olaplex. If any of the situations below sound familiar, you are definitely a good candidate for an in-salon Olaplex treatement:
- Does your hair fade quickly?
- Is your hair chemically compromised or damaged from color?
- Is your hair fragile and breaks easily?
- Does your hair tangle easily or break while brushing?
- Do you have lots of split ends?
- Is your hair lacking in shine?
- Does your hair look unhealthy?
If you answered yes to any of the above, Olaplex is for you! Visit HBK and mention this article to receive 15% off a take-home Olaplex No.3 treatment. For more detailed information on Olaplex and all it can do, visit www.olaplex.com